6th Blue Star (1950; rededicated 2016)
The Grosse Ile Garden Club dedicated a Blue Star Drive marker honoring the Grosse Ile Veterans of WW II on November 11, 1950. Initially this marker was installed on Meridian Road, Grosse Ile.
This is the only Blue Star marker of its type in Michigan and the last one reflecting the initial Blue Star scope of honoring WW II veterans. The change in scope honoring all who are or have served occurred in 1951.
As a result of highway changes, this marker was moved to VFW Post 7310 at 8840 Macomb Street, Grosse Ile. The picture to the right was taken at the VFW location.
When the VFW building was sold, the marker was moved to its current location on West River Road near the Wayne County Bridge (“Free Bridge”), Grosse Ile. The marker was rededicated on October 10, 2016.
For almost 75 years, this marker has been respectfully cared for by the Grosse Ile Garden Club.
Record changes made by Trish Payne, Blue & Gold Star Chair 2022-2025.