MICHIGAN CONSULTANTS COUNCIL
The mission of the Michigan Consultants Council is to provide activities and additional educational opportunities for MGC members on protecting our environment, promoting best gardening practices and encouraging excellence in landscape design.
MICHIGAN CONSULTANTS COUNCIL (MCC) HISTORY
The MCC organization was formed and bylaws approved in June, 2007. The first business meeting and Tri-Refresher was held in Traverse City, MI the same year. Since the beginning, two meetings a year have been held: a summer tour with speakers, garden tours, and interactive luncheons for members; at the yearly State Convention the MCC held their annual meeting to present awards to local clubs sponsoring garden walks; MCC often sponsored a lecturer during the MGC Annual Convention. Every two years new officers were elected for a two year term. Officers were: President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, and Treasurer.
Former MCC Presidents were: Bonnie Ion 2007-2009; Mary Pulick 2009-2013; Lynn Dinvald 2013-2015; Nancy Stark 2015-2017; Rita Crawley 2017-2021.
MCC MEMBERSHIP QUALIFICATION AND ADMISSION
- Be a member in good standing of a MGC local club,
- Be accredited as a consultant by National Garden Clubs and/or,
- Have successfully completed at least two courses in either Gardening, Environmental or Landscape Design Schools.
- Attend schools and/or refreshers to maintain your credentials.
MCC MEMBERSHIP CLASSIFICATIONS
- Provisional Consultant – has completed two courses and has passed the exams in any one of the above schools.
- Consultant – has completed all four courses and has passed the exams required in any one of the above schools.
- Master Consultant – has completed four refreshers in a school.
- Emeritus -a Master Consultant in good standing, who is unable to continue refreshing, may be granted Emeritus status. This is granted upon approval by the appropriate NGC School Chair.
MCC has reorganized into a committee structure with 7 reps –one for each district. The chair of the committee is a member of the MGC Board of Directors.
MCC COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and Host a Tri-Refresher every two years for consultants, MGC members and other interested guests.
- Continue to sponsor and coordinate judging MCC Garden Walk Awards.
Consider adding other awards like Environmental.
- Maintain an updated list of educational speakers, programs and tours by district.
- Develop a short script and promotional material about MCC that any consultant may use.
- Review and approve the budgeting and use of MCC funds (awards, printed materials, Tri-Refreshers).
MCC GARDEN WALK AWARD INFORMATION
To download information on the Michigan Council Garden Walk Award, click here.
HOW CAN COUNSULTANTS HELP THEIR DISTRICT?
- Stimulate interest in Gardening, Landscape Design and Environmental subject matter
- Support school or refresher when it is held in the district
- Work with the MCC District Rep to maintain the District Speaker, Field Trip and Program list
- Encourage clubs to apply for the annual MCC Landscape Garden Walk Award
- Promote MCC or provide brief educational programs at District Meetings, club meetings or other events
- Attend Schools or Refreshers to maintain your credentials