8th Blue Star (1950-1954; rededication 2009)
The Village Garden Club of Detroit sponsored an Intermediate Marker sometime between 1950-1954 on a pathway to Lake Michigan in South Haven. This marker was one of four Intermediate Markers that was placed at roadside parks between our Blue Star Memorial Highway markers in the early 1950s.
Remnants of this Intermediate Marker were thankfully discovered near the woods north of Van Buren State Park in 2003. It took the South Haven Garden Club over six years to recover, repair, design and install the renovated marker.
Previously, this marker was numbered 2nd (now 8th) and the dedication date, which was extracted from the National Garden Clubs records, was September 3, 1954 (now 1950-1954).
We have no definitive date, but we do know the Federated Garden Clubs of Michigan (currently Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc.) made plans for the four Intermediate Markers in the late 1940s along with the plans for the installation of our first five Blue Star Memorial Highway markers. Since the Intermediate Marker wasn’t available until 1950, we can safely deduce their installations followed our first five Highway markers.
On September 19, 2009, a rededication occurred on the east side of Lake View Cemetery, South Haven, in a lovely garden overlooking our Blue Star Highway. This rededication occurred in concert with the dedication of a new Blue Star Memorial Highway (41st Blue Star marker) in the same garden. Both markers are pictured below.
Record changes made by Trish Payne, Blue/Gold Star Chair 2022-2024.