The bill has been sent to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources and Agriculture. Senator Sue Shink is the Committee Chair. She represents Senate District 14. Please send the letter (bottom of the page) to Senator Sue Shink urging her to place HB 4159 on the committee’s hearing schedule as soon as possible!
Senator Shink’s email is: . Her phone number is 517-373-2426.
Why The Black Swallowtail for State Butterfly?
Such a designation would promote the importance of pollinators which are crucial to Michigan crops. Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc., is working with the Michigan legislature and other organizations to support this bill. The Black Swallowtail is an appropriate ambassador for Michigan pollinators for the following reasons:
- It spends its entire life cycle in Michigan, overwintering as a pupa. This is unlike many other butterflies that are transient visitors to our state.
- Its habitat covers the entire state.
- It is not only non-threatening but also beautiful making it an excellent teaching tool about pollinators.
- The Black Swallowtail lives at the garden level making it easily visible and identifiable. Again making this butterfly an excellent teaching tool.
The additional Senators on the committee are:
- John Cherry Majority Vice Chair District 27 (Flint/Grand Blanc area) email:
- Sam Singh District 28 (Lansing, Williamston, Grand Ledge area) email:
- Dayna Polehanki District 5 (Livonia, Westland, Canton area) email:
- Kevin Daley Minority Vice Chair District 26 (Lapeer, Tuscola, Genesee, Saginaw area) email:
- Roger Victory District 31 (Allegan/Ottawa County) email:
- Michele Hoitenga District 36 (Alpena, Kalkaska, Otsego, Wexford Area) email:
Send an email to each of the Senators on the committee urging support for scheduling a hearing and to support designating the Black Swallowtail as the state butterfly!
THANK YOU TO REPRESENTATIVE BRIXIE FOR ALL OF HER SUPPORT TO GET THIS THROUGH THE MICHIGAN HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES! PLEASE HELP US MAKE THE BLACK SWALLOWTAIL OUR STATE BUTTERFLY!!!
Jeanette Meyer, Legislation Chair
Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc
Senator Shink’s email is:
Senator Shink’s mailing address is: P.O. Box 30036, Lansing, MI 48909-7536